Thursday, October 9, 2008

This Election Is Horrible

Regardless of who wins this stupid election, I'll be more than glad it's over.

It feels that every day that passes someone else claims that not bowing down and praising Barack Obama makes you some cross burning, hood wearing scumbag vermin who wakes up with the sole intent of oppressing black people.

On 'net forums, you'll find posts that say, (I'm paraphrasing so you can't google who said it) "Obama isn't just crushing McCain because he's black." Or, "Over half of the Americans are racists." (Those were both from Americans, mind you.)

Nope, you couldn't possibly disagree with Obama's policies, or think that he's too inexperienced, (And before you even go there, so is Sarah Palin.)

You couldn't possibly think that his VP pick shows poor judgment, when he tosses out gems like this class warfare supporting quote:

IFILL: OK, our time is up here. We've got to move to the next question. Sen. Biden, we want to talk about taxes, let's talk about taxes. You proposed raising taxes on people who earn over $250,000 a year. The question for you is, why is that not class warfare and the same question for you, Gov. Palin, is you have proposed a tax employer health benefits which some studies say would actually throw five million more people onto the roles of the uninsured. I want to know why that isn't taking things out on the poor, starting with you, Sen. Biden.

BIDEN: Well Gwen, where I come from, it's called fairness, just simple fairness. The middle class is struggling. The middle class under John McCain's tax proposal, 100 million families, middle class families, households to be precise, they got not a single change, they got not a single break in taxes. No one making less than $250,000 under Barack Obama's plan will see one single penny of their tax raised whether it's their capital gains tax, their income tax, investment tax, any tax. And 95 percent of the people in the United States of America making less than $150,000 will get a tax break.

Now, that seems to me to be simple fairness. The economic engine of America is middle class. It's the people listening to this broadcast. When you do well, America does well. Even the wealthy do well. This is not punitive. John wants to add $300 million, billion in new tax cuts per year for corporate America and the very wealthy while giving virtually nothing to the middle class. We have a different value set. The middle class is the economic engine. It's fair. They deserve the tax breaks, not the super wealthy who are doing pretty well. They don't need any more tax breaks. And by the way, they'll pay no more than they did under Ronald Reagan.


You couldn't possibly think Obama's idea to cut taxes on 95% of American's is stupid. (Because it's impossible)

You couldn't possibly be against his dislike of the second amendment.

Nope! You're just a klansman who hates Obama because he's black.

Well, I'd like to respectfully disagree. I'm not in the Klan, I don't actually hate the man, just his policies. I don't support John McCain either, for that matter.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of socialized medicine. No doubt healthcare needs some work, but it's by no means completely broken.

I'm not in love with taxing "rich" people just because they're rich. Silly me for thinking taxes were about funding the government.

What I am, however, is a 22 year old man sick of being told he's either a) a closet racist, or b) an idiot for not lining up to support Barack Obama.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written, Chris. You might be interested in knowing that people in my neighborhood say I'm stupid for supporting Obama/Biden! (Of course, people who disagree with me usually think I'm stupid.) I guess it depends on where one lives, but I find Cobb County and even most KSU students to be on the McCain/Palin page. - Don Gerz (PS - I found your blog by reading Brit Butler's.)